hal.dll missing or corrupt after internet explorer 8 installation.

Internet Explorer 8
It appears that there is an issue with some systems after installing internet explorer 8. Users get an error message stating that hal.dll is missing or corrupt. IE8 is actually deleting the boot.ini file. Here’s what I did to fix it.

1. Insert the Windows CD and boot from it. (Dell systems use F12 at blue dell logo to get to the boot menu.)
2. Press R at the first prompt to get to the recovery console.
3. When asked about which OS you would like to repair press 1 and enter (if there is only 1 OS.)
4. Enter the administrator password as requested. (this is for the machine’s local administrator account.)
5. Type bootcfg /rebuild.
6. When asked “Add installation to boot list?” answer yes.
7. At the “Enter Load Identifier” prompt, type the name of the OS (this is the display name the you see when the PC boots so enter something like Windows XP Professional.
8. At the “Enter OS Load options” type /Fastdetect
9. reboot and remove the CD to boot into Windows.
10. Once in Windows, uninstall IE8, this will revert you back to IE7.
11. You can reboot at this point, I had to perform steps 1-9 again after uninstalling IE8

Good luck

Helpful Resources
hal.dll missing on about.com
Repair boot.ini on about.com

Be Sociable, Share!

10 Comments

• Danny-D says:

Worked perfectly for me! Good to go!

• Andy says:

Hi Danny,

Thanks for letting us know about your success.

Glad it worked.

• Johny says:

Had the same problem, but i had to figure it out myself without the webs help.
    Any idea if Micro$oft is gonna fix it, cuz i h8 getting constant reminders to install Ie8

• Andy says:

Hey Johny,

I searched for it on Microsoft’s support site and could not find any reference to it. I haven’t heard of any hotfix to correct this yet.

• Danny says:

after fixing this you could try manually installing IE8 without installing the updates(option during the install)

• Dave K says:

Thanks for this …. really bailed me out !

• Donovan H says:

We had a client that had this issue, ran the above fix (without IE8 uninstall), next ran the SP3 install, then ran the above fix again, then installed all Microsoft updates and restarted the computer, shutdown and powered on the computer, then restarted the computer, the boot.ini is nolonger deleted and the issue is resolved and should stay resolved.

• Bob says:

This is my problem:
    I installed IE8 via the auto update.
    I rebooted but got this error message ‘Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt: \system32\hal.dll’.
    So I took my XP CD and went into recovery console and ran bootcfg /rebuild like it says here…
    But then it says: ‘Error: Failed to successfully scan disks for windows installations. This error may be caused by a corrupt file system, which would prevent bootcfg from successfully scanning. Use chkdsk to detect any disk errors. Note: This operation must complete successfully in order for the /add or /rebuild commands to be utilized.’
    I ran chkdsk /r twice. The first time it said that one or more errors have been fixed, but when I tried running bootcfg /rebuild again, I got the same error message. I ran chkdsk /r again and no errors were detected.
    HELP PLEASE!

• Jay says:

Thank you so much or posting this! Worked like a charm!

• Eric P. Martinez says:

I have a similar problem to Bob, and I just can’t seem to get it sorted. I have even re-installed Windows and the same error comes back again. The error messag I am getting is ‘Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt: \system32\hal.dll’.

Is there anything that I can do?

Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks,